The Kenya Integrated Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (KIWASH) Project is a five-year USAID funded project focusing on the development and management of sustainable water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) services. KIWASH works with nine county governments to expand WASH services through a combination of technical assistance and strategic infrastructure support.
Summary of Primary Duties
The Interns will support implementation, monitoring and reporting of Community Led Total Sanitation (CLTS), Sanitation marketing, Behavior change communication (BCC) and Infrastructure activities. The Interns will work in one of the nine KIWASH counties of operation, which include Kisumu, Busia, Kakamega, Migori, Nyamira, Siaya, Nairobi, Kitui and Makueni.
Under the guidance of the KIWASH County based Sanitation and Hygiene Specialist, the intern will undertake the following activities:
- Support CHVs in implementation of BCC activities including convening and facilitating community group forums and individual house-to-house visits to reinforce BCC messaging.
- Undertake regular monitoring and report progress of CLTS, sanitation marketing and BCC activities in the assigned county.
- Facilitate distribution of WASH hygiene kits to mothers in the community and monitor and report on use of the kits.
- Monitor and report on functionality of oral-rehydration therapy corners in health facilities supported by KIWASH.
- Assist with formation and roll out of organized groups at community level to fast track adoption of basic and improved sanitation facilities at household level.
- Assist in organizing, follow up and collection of completed project data collection forms and monitoring reports for use by KIWASH, and County staff.
- Carry out KIWASH beneficiary data entry from various source documents and ensure that the database is updated and complete with key beneficiary details.
- Conduct GIS mapping and update GPS database for KIWASH beneficiaries.
- Assist with conducting of sample household surveys for completed infrastructure projects in the nine counties.
- Perform other tasks as required by the supervisor.
- Completed a Bachelor of Science Degree in the fields of Public health, Environmental health, Community development, and Civil engineering or related fields.
- Experience in data collection and entry and ability to use basic computer packages i.e. Ms. Word, Ms. Excel is mandatory
- Prior experience working with communities implementing WASH or related activities and facilitating learning for community groups will be an added advantage.
- Good command of written and spoken English and Kiswahili language. Knowledge of local languages is an added advantage.
Base of Operations: One of the nine counties of KIWASH operation.
Reporting: Sanitation and Hygiene Specialist
Duration: 6 months
Interested applicants should apply via the link; https://kiwashproject.formstack.com/forms/sanitation_and_infrastructure_interns
Deadline for receiving applications is October 1, 2018 5:00 pm. Only candidates who send their information by applying through the link and by the deadline will be eligible. Copy the link and paste it on the browser to submit your application.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.